Cyber security is an essential part of the efficient and successful running of any business or company, including SMBs. But there are several different types of cyber security to take into consideration. So what are these? And what should you consider? Well, here at Creative Network Solutions, we are Manchester’s leading IT support and network services experts. From secure remote access services to business VoIP, we are the team you can count on. And this is our guide to everything you should know about the different types of cyber security for SMBs.
What are the different types of cyber security?
There are a number of different types of cyber security that can be crucial for keeping your SMB safe. These include:
- Network security
- Cloud security
- Internet of Things security
Network security for SMBs
Network security is a branch of security that is focused on keeping the network itself safe and secure. The steps for network security include:
- Physical network security- this focuses on implementing physical controls that are designed to prevent unauthorized personnel from gaining physical access to network components such as routers and cabling cupboards.
- Technical network security- this focuses on protecting the data that is stored on the network, or that which is being passed across the network, into or out of it. This helps to protect against threats from unauthorized access and malicious software.
- Administrative network security- this involves the implementation of security policies and processes that control user behavior, including how users are authenticated, their level of access and also how changes to authorization can be implemented.
Protecting the network involves a number of different approaches including:
- up to date and appropriate anti-virus and anti-malware software
- network access control
Cloud security for SMBs
Many businesses are now using cloud services for data storage as well as for virtual desktop environments and virtual software. As a result, it is essential that SMBs are taking cloud security steps into consideration, and taking this seriously, even for hybrid systems. Our cloud and hybrid solutions here at Creative Network are developed with maximum security in mind.
Internet of Things security for SMBs
The Internet of Things relates to all manner of electrical items that are now connected to the internet, and are designed to be “smart” in order to improve efficiency and provide more value for users. This is important for SMBs to consider, as many cyber criminals are using unsecured connected devices to launch attacks and enter secure networks by exploiting vulnerabilities here, instead of more traditional points of weakness. Implementing security based policies and procedures that focus on this can be a good way to keep your company or business safe.
For more information or advice, why not ask the experts today, here at Creative Network Solutions.