Here at Creative Network Solutions, we are Preston’s leading IT support and network services experts. From secure remote access services to business VoIP, we are the team you can count on. And this is our guide to everything you should know about implementing an effective mobile security strategy.
What is mobile security?
Mobile security is a branch of cyber security focused on protecting smart phones and devices from cyber crime and attack. An effective mobile security strategy can bring a number of benefits to your company or business and help protect against a wide range of smart phone threats.
What are the most common smart phone threats?
The most common smart phone threats include:
- Web based mobile threats– web based mobile threats are often similar to those that impact desktop or laptop users. These can include malicious links within websites which can download malware onto mobile devices without user permission or awareness. Phishing scams would also be part of the web based threats.
- App based threats- app based threats include malicious apps that are downloaded by unsuspecting users, as well as established apps that have been compromised by criminals exploiting a vulnerability or hole in the security.
- Network threats- network threats are those that emerge through a network connection. From WiFi to Bluetooth and GPS, each of these can be hacked and exploited to allow hackers into the network and cause damage in the future.
What are the important factors for developing a mobile security strategy for your SMB?
There are a number of important factors to include when developing a mobile security strategy. These are:
- Mobile security training- for any security strategy or policy to work effectively, your staff will need to be trained to understand the basics of cuber security. This will include developing complex passwords, avoiding unrestricted networks and ensuring that devices are kept up to date.
- Restricting access- mobile users should be split into a segmented group with restricted access. This reduces the exposed attack surface area if one device gets compromised.
- Installing security software- security software that offers high level protection should be installed on your company smart phones and devices. This will also need to be updated regularly to fully protect your devices and network overall. Tools like mobile threat detection and device and data protection tools can be essential.
For more information or advice about your network security, why not get in touch with the experts today, here at Creative Network Solutions.